You will be the go-to hardware specialist on the Data Acquisition team. You will be hands on building, wiring, configuring, testing and installing cameras, microphones, and other sensor technology; instrumenting both our lab and car for custom data capture in support of Affectiva’s Machine Learning and Deep Learning Science team. You will be given specifications on camera, microphone and other sensor types and you will hunt down hardware that meets that criteria. You will be responsible for ordering, vendor management and inventory and will participate in conferences and client demos. You will be supporting studies that involve executing protocols and interfacing directly with study participants.
You have been hacking camera hardware professionally or as a hobby for years, you have deep knowledge of how image sensors are constructed and know how to work with evaluation boards, external power supplies, lenses, and the supporting software. You are physically able to install this hardware into a lab or into a car – often having to create mounting hardware from scratch. You understand camera specifications to a degree that if given a spec you can independently source hardware that meets the requirements. Similar knowledge of microphones and other audio related hardware is a plus. You’re a people person with fantastic communication skills and strong attention to details and safety.
- BS in a technical discipline like Electrical Engineering, Optics, Computer Science or Photography/Cinematography.
Skills & Technologies:
- Camera Hardware, Lenses
- Video Editing Software Packages (Adobe, Corel, Pinnacle or similar)
- Excellent Communication
- Can execute on complex protocols and tasks
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly organized
- Can work under tight deadlines
- Ability to travel
- Valid US Driver’s License w/clean driving record
Nice to have:
- Scripting in Python or Similar
- Some familiarity with Computer Vision services like AWS Rekognition API, Google Vision or Similar
- 2+ Years working with cameras/optics sensors either at a distributor or as part of your current job – camera tech, videographer, or related field
- Routine “client” facing interactions
Additional Information and Company Benefits:
- Full Time Position located in Downtown Boston
- Competitive Benefits Package including: Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Long-Term and Short-Term Disability
- 401K Matching
- Unlimited PTO
- Casual Startup office culture, collaborative office space
- Flexible work schedule
- Complimentary snacks and drinks, and lunch provided once a week
- Free Gym – On Site
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Affectiva is an MIT Media Lab spin-off and the leading provider of Human Perception AI: software that analyzes facial and vocal expressions to identify complex human emotional and cognitive states. Our vision is that technology needs to be able to sense, adapt and respond to people’s non-verbal signals, mental states, emotions and reactions, just the way humans do. We are humanizing technology!
Our patented AI software uses machine learning, deep learning, computer vision and speech science. Affectiva has built the world’s largest emotion data repository with over 7M faces analyzed in 87 countries. Affectiva is used by one fourth of the Fortune Global 500 for advertising testing and is now working with leading automotive OEMs and Tier 1s on next generation driver state monitoring and in-cabin mood sensing.
As you can imagine, such an ambitious vision takes a great team with a strong desire to explore and innovate. We are growing our team to improve and expand our core technologies and help solve many unique and interesting problems focused around sensing, understanding and adapting to human states. And, in building new products that never existed before, we are disrupting billion dollar industries such a advertising and automotive.