We’re looking for a Back-End Software Development Engineer to join our globally distributed but close-knit team in creating, delivering, and maintaining our industry-recognized software-based Human Perception AI solutions and platform.
Reporting to the Director of Data, you can expect to be actively working on Affectiva’s data pipelines and data platform in direct support of our Machine Learning / Deep Learning Science Organization who will be your main internal clients. This will involve deep knowledge about efficient data pipelining, transformation and model training on AWS, in particular automated provisioning and monitoring of transient infrastructure. Efficiency, quality, and automation are paramount to keep the data flowing to those who depend on it.
You understand what it means to create a backbone for a system. Without your frameworks and APIs, core business requirements wouldn’t be met. Non-functional requirements are what you consider, and you know the questions to ask to ensure the system delivers to the appropriate capacity, securely and reliably.
These days it’s all about the movement, transformation, and presentation of data and you recognize this fact. You have at least 6 years’ experience developing server-less functions and micro-services which manage and process data. You have also built up significant infrastructure experience in cloud environments that efficiently move very large volumes of data, and you have written database functions and Python scripts to orchestrate and monitor those systems.
Ideally you understand the pains and friction associated with ML/DL pipelines and can help ease them, our goal is to enable our Science team to move fast and flawlessly as we off-load much of their manual heavy lifting to automated infrastructure.
This role will need the ability to travel internationally, approximately once a quarter, average.
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner (Foundation) OR
- AWS Certified Developer (Associate)
- AWS Certified Big Data (Specialty)
Skills & Technologies:
- OS: Linux, Windows
- Core Languages: Python, SQL, C/C++, CUDA
- Technologies : AWS Batch, Spark, Hive, EMR, Presto, Docker, Jenkins, Bitbucket
- Databases: RDS MySQL, Redshift
- Machine Learning: Distributed TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, Caffe2, scikit-learn, Apache MxNet, SageMaker
- Stellar verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask and work independently without much supervision
- Well organized
- Flexible and collaborative
- Ability/willingness to travel
- At least 6+ years developing and maintaining large, distributed, highly available, highly scale-able, event driven, server-less and micro-service architectures
- Support of ML/DL Engineering/Science Teams
- Migrating, transforming, and processing huge volumes of data at low cost
- Developing DAOs and APIs
- Extensive practical experience using a wide range of AWS technologies, including: S3, EC2s, Lambda, Step Functions, Glue, EMR, API Gateway
- Identifying and resolving bottlenecks and weaknesses in execution/process flows and pipelines
- Rule-based data processing
- Horizontal scaling
- Load balancing
- Logging and Monitoring of utilization and flows
- Have successfully worked with globally distributed teams
Additional Information and Company Benefits:
- Full Time Position located in Downtown Boston
- Competitive Benefits Package including: Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Long-Term and Short-Term Disability
- 401K Matching
- Unlimited PTO
- Casual Startup office culture, collaborative office space
- Flexible work schedule
- Complimentary snacks and drinks, and lunch provided once a week
- Free Gym – On Site
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Affectiva is an MIT Media Lab spin-off and the leading provider of Human Perception AI: software that analyzes facial and vocal expressions to identify complex human emotional and cognitive states. Our vision is that technology needs to be able to sense, adapt and respond to people’s non-verbal signals, mental states, emotions and reactions, just the way humans do. We are humanizing technology!
Our patented AI software uses machine learning, deep learning, computer vision and speech science. Affectiva has built the world’s largest emotion data repository with over 7M faces analyzed in 87 countries. Affectiva is used by one fourth of the Fortune Global 500 for advertising testing and is now working with leading automotive OEMs and Tier 1s on next generation driver state monitoring and in-cabin mood sensing.
As you can imagine, such an ambitious vision takes a great team with a strong desire to explore and innovate. We are growing our team to improve and expand our core technologies and help solve many unique and interesting problems focused around sensing, understanding and adapting to human states. And, in building new products that never existed before, we are disrupting billion dollar industries such a advertising and automotive.